- 1.5 cup of peeled minced shallots.
- 1.5lb yellow potatoes, diced, peeled.
- 6 cups of vegetable oil to deep fry.
- 1tsp salt.
- 1/5tsp ground black pepper.
- 2 tbsp ChiliCali kukui nuts & shallot base.
- 2 eggs, separate the yolks & egg whites.
Use a deep fryer, or a frying pan and deep-fry diced potatoes until soft in 220F oil for about 7 minutes (or until soft). Than smash the potatoes using fork, or potato masher. Set aside.
Sautee shallots until soft, set aside.
In a mixing bowl, mix smashed potatoes, sauteed shallots, salt, pepper, ChiliCali kukui nuts & shallot base, egg yolks.
Shape into palm sized and flat round patties.
Heat oil again in the pan for deep-frying (375F), make sure the oil is enough to submerge the patties.
Brush egg whites on both sides of the patties and deep fry the patties in batches if necessary. Make sure you keep checking the bottom of the pan so the patties don’t stick at the bottom.
Cook for about 2 minutes, or until the potato cakes are golden brown.
Squeeze a lime wedge and use ChiliCali Sambal Base as dipping sauce.
Serve 4-6 people. Time: 50 min.